Monday, January 30, 2006

Pass me a drink, and make it a good one

I lifted the glass of wine by its stem, swirled it a little under my nose and took in its aroma, or "nose". I know nuts about wine tasting, all I knew was that it smelled great. I took a sip, ran it through my teeth, and around my mouth before swallowing. Smooth with just the right amount of sweetness and flavor. I'm no expert, but my senses told me it was great, great red wine. And logically it should be, cause I was dining in the house of my mum's wealthy friend, and I'm sure the wine's pretty expensive. The bottle was already removed from the table by the time I arrived, but that much was deducible from the second bottle that we had later, which, incidentally, was equally good.

That was dinner. In the morning, my paternal relatives came over to visit, and I took it as an excuse to open a bottle of white wine that I had been saving for a "special occasion" for almost a year. My step dad got it from his boss' office the last time he was in town, and told me it was good, expensive wine. I accepted what he said, naturally; that man's a wine, beer, and steak connoisseur. The wine was fabulous, although it was unchilled, and I only had a small portion cause there were too many of us. Sigh, less than 1/3 of a glass!

Lunch on Saturday was a New York steak(medium rare, of course) and Pilsner Lager at Brewerkz. The beer was my step dad's choice, and unsurprisingly it was a good one, though I find all Brewerkz beer nice, so give me any of theirs and I'll say it's good. *grin*. Brewerkz beer goes for $10 per jug from 12pm to 3pm, everyday! One jug for the two of us, and I drank slightly more than him. Great. =) The steak was pretty nice too, and the service excellent. 5 stars for Brewerkz!

Muddy Murphey's was the watering hole of choice on Friday night. And it scores 2 stars. Expensive, and I suspect, adulterated Kilkenny, lousy seats with no back rests, and a largely ex-pat crowd. After two and a half pints of Kilkenny, I took a lift to Bark Cafe from my uncle, who drives the sexy Mazda Rx-8. Daryl, Jianming, Jia an and Qingwei were merrily playing bridge, Daryl and Jianming having a full pint of Erdinger Dark each. The waiter approached and asked if I wanted a drink. Before I knew it, I was pointing at Jianming's Erdinger and saying "Give me one of that."

Help. I might be turning alcoholic. The taste and feel of beer and wine gives me the same high as the Billy Bombers All-Star burger. Paul van dyk's spinning at Zouk tonight and I'm going. Booking in tomorrow. I'll try not to get drunk.

Ang pao collection has been rich and bountiful =D

No comments: