Friday, February 17, 2006

What a day.

It was our first time. We entered our client's office with apprehension; inadequately armed in both equipment and knowledge, Jianming our only trump card, God our only hope.

Jia an stepped forward and announced us as the people who were there to service the computers. The company's receptionist/admin clerk, June, motioned us in, and I unconsciously moved forward to take the lead. It was decided before-hand that Jia an would do the speaking, since he was the one who liased with them over the phone. Jianming would be the techie, and I, his assistant.

I'd like to think it wasn't my ego, and that it was because I was too nervous and so anxious for everything to go well that I didn't want to risk anything going wrong if I could help it. I asked the questions, took down some notes, started getting a headache. We were supposed to clear 4 systems of spyware/virii, but it turned out things got a little more complicated.

I shalln't bore you with the details, but we spent 6 hours in the office, all 3 of us hard at work, learning new things from Jianming and applying them instantly. Not a single moment was wasted; every problem received a dedicated storm of brainwaves till we solved it, things were moving simultaneously even as new work requests came in. We fielded questions and jumped hurdles like dancing fencers on hot coals, smiled in the face of building panic, and took turns taking the heat off one another so we could work. Even Jia an, who had comparatively lesser technical knowledge than us gave his all, helping out in every little way he can and backing me up while I was busy throwing smoke bombs and setting up mirrors.

The result? The company's apparently impressed with our service and working style cause they asked us for a regular maintenance contract even before seeing the results of our labour, and a wireless LAN setup might be on the way. Each of us walked away with $110 in our pocket, a generous serving of experience under our belt, and a satisfied client in our wake. Tomorrow we'll truly know if our work was up to scratch - when our clients start up their computers, and begin their normal business operations.

Our celebration was with Janet in Changing Appetites, and an Erdinger with Daryl at Bark Cafe. What a day. Great job guys =D and THANK GOD everything went well.

-

Janet gave Jianming and I self-designed tee shirts for valentine's day, and I absolutely adore mine. I found Jianming's one hilarious too. He's a technician in PC Clinic, a computer servicing shop in Sim Lim Square and his tee shirt reads, "NO, I will not fix your computer!". Haha, and mine? It reads, "BY THE WAY, I'm a cow-killer and a skirt chaser". =D thanks always-hungry-but-never admitting-it Janet!

-

Think you know me well? Go here and prove it!

-

Back to camp .. la di da.

No comments: