Saturday, May 06, 2006

Nothing

It has been a long time since I sat typing about anything, everything and nothing. It even was quite a while before I finished reading a book. I fixed the reading in camp when I finished "Not a Penny more, Not a penny less" by Jeffrey Archer yesterday. I'm not a fast reader, but since I spent the entire day in camp doing nothing but read, eat, and sleep, it really isn't surprising that I finished it. Book review in a word? Mediocre. Read his other books if you're interested - they're a lot better. Try "Kane and Abel", "The Eleventh Commandment", and "As the crow flies".

The last book I read before this was Mario Puzo's "Omerta", after reading his classic, "The Godfather" that got me obsessed over the Mafia. It's strange that only after reading "The Godfather" do phrases like "an offer he can't refuse" jump out at me as I read other materials like newspapers, magazines, and websites.

I have a few movies I want to catch. Mission Impossible 3, Daisy, and hrms, the Zhang Ziyi film..the title escapes me. I don't have the time though. I've started going back to camp after a month long holiday, and I've work that I need to do. On top of it all, I don't have anyone to watch them with.

I went for Justin's birthday chalet this evening, and thank God Japheth didn't bring Geri. Otherwise it would have been couples night again and I'll be left rotting. Being single isn't so bad really; if you're not hanging around attached friends all the time.

Tomorrow, or rather, today's Polling day, where all eligible voters make their way to their respective polling stations and cast their vote - PAP or an Opposition party. Elections is quite an exciting time, especially for a first time voter like myself. Talking politics with my friends is fun, as long as I make a conscious effort to surpress the bigot in me.

I need new shoes, some funky clothes, and a more toned body. I'll settle the first two later when I go shopping with Edwin. Maybe check out House of Japan at Haji lane for clothes, Pensiula Shopping Centre for shoes, and look for a cool bag with Edwin. I told him Chrome's the best, but Weeli says it's impossible to find in Singapore now. Great news for me. Haha.

I'm quite a boring blogger. I type in disjointed sentences. Dry, disjointed sentences. I used to write better though. Let's see .. something I rescued from my old hard disk. An old blog of mine. Oookay, after reading through a couple of entries there, I changed my mind about posting an excerpt. It was my 2004 blog, and I "type like this with no capitalization whatsoever". Ah here's one anyway. Why do people type with no capitalizations?!

happened to glance into a window on my way out of charis' condo and saw two kids playing a card game that looks like uno with the black backed cards and all. maybe they're tarrot cards but ya i like to think of them as uno cards. so carefree. maybe not. maybe they have homework untouched or a teacher's letter tucked deep in their bag thats meant for their parents, addressing the issue of repeated incidents of undone homework. tomorrow may be the day of their big test and they're playing uno. what am i talking about. anyway my point is that i guess at 19, yes the tender age of 19, the word carefree doesnt seem to be very applicable anymore. when will i relax? how can i relax? there's money to earn, jobs to get, businesses to start, boots to lick, people to stab, to scorn, to sucker up to. bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. the parents of those two lucky kids must be working at least a quarter of their asses off to pay for the condo and to ensure the kids grow up into semi-spoilt brats living comfortably and as worry-free as possible..at least where financial matters are concerned. money earned can never be enjoyed 'care-freely' because there are more money to be earned, datelines to be met, work yet to be done, arseholic clients to handle. oh my oh my..how life has taken on a diff perspective. i may realise it too late, but i have finally realised it. the scariness of it all. the lost..the lost of cliche-ish innocence.

there is status to uphold, even at weddings, can you imagine .. inviting people who _expect_ to be invited but whom you dont really care to be there. its like 'wow so glad you made it! how're u doing man? (you bloody piece of shit)'

Haha here's something about running, which reminds me that I haven't ran in ages. eons. months. Oops, capitalizations. Actually, I wonder if I'm using the word corrrectly.

Now we come to the running. God. She runs so damn fast(ok to me it was fast, shut up weeli i know you run faster.). I think God must be trying to say something by endowing both Charis and the unlucky girlfriend(thats you sha if you're reading this) before her with better er shall we say 'running' ability than me. damn. Gotta train! at least shalene's nice enough to run slowly when she went jogging with me. Charis was merciless, working on the mentality that i would never allow myself to lag too far behind her no matter how fast she runs - my pride wouldnt allow it. haha, she's right! but i employed the same rule i used with weeli; run half a pace behind. This is to ensure maximum period of survival.

And here's one about maths. Which .. reminds me that I'm going to get slaughtered in NUS.

07 march 2002

the brave brain cells in dented breastplates wielding rusty short-swords stood unwavering in the face of terror. math coat of arms embossed in the approximate center of their shields, leather straps creaking from lack of use, yet firm were the hands that gripped them, unyielding, defiant. few was their number, grossly outnumbered by the horde of demons bearing flags on which the words probability and statistics were scrawled.

the page was turned, pen uncapped. the demons charged. shrieking hideous war cries and frothing at the mouth, they charged. our heros too charged, refusing to give in without a decent, honourable fight.

swords broken, shields smashed, breastplates torn mercilessly apart, the inevitable had came to pass. it was slaughter, not a fight, nor a battle, but a massacre of our valiant heros who sacrificed their lives to ensure the escape of their leader shaun, who lived to tell this very tale.

sigh, as you guys would have deduced by now, i almost died in the exam hall. all i can hope for now is that i would not fail too badly, or that there are enough people who did worse than me to warrent a moderation that would pass me -grin-

Here's a quote from my old blog that's quite good

The girl in the omnibus had one of those faces of marvelous beauty which are seen casually in the streets but never among one's friends. Where do these women come from? Who marries them? Who knows them? -- Author unknown

My baptism ..

23 feb 2002

today's my christian birthday. don't know if you guys heard that term but that was what daryl said this day is - the day i'm baptised is my christian birthday. i suppose that means the day i'm officially a christian or something like that. if you people havent figured it out by now, i got baptised today -grin-

A bunch of crap that I'm surprised I took the time to write..

throughout our lives, we establish certain theories on how to live our life, on the quirks of humankind. we come to sudden realisations on facts of life and we learn through experiences that shatter our hearts and tear at our soul. we've been in moments when we want the world to just pause, stop and never move on. when we're holding someone we love close to our bosom, when we're lying warm in the arms of our loved ones. time spent lying on lush green grass, watching the clouds move slowly by, accompanied but the sound of waves crashing against the shore. the scene flashes by, giving way to a picture of a square cubicle, where a person toils unceasingly for the better part of each day, just so that he can survive, feed and clothe himself and his family. his life lacks both splendor and warmth, relationships turn cold, yet he presses on, a lifeless, unthinking machine, working to survive. the varities are endless, from one extreme to another, the thoughts of man perverse and twisted, yet at times illogically kind and warm. there are among us, people who step out of the mundane, secular circle of life. poets, philosophers, religious leaders. different that they are, yet bound by one common element. the unwillingness to live life just as it is, instead searching with their limited mortal mind the deeper meaning of life. on the other side of the coin, we have individuals choosing to live life to the fullest, ignoring the mystical and the obscure, scorning the superstitious. they believe only in their own ability and power:"fate? what fate? things are within my control".

hidden in-between the extremists, among the many others, is the dreamer. lamenting the debauched ways of the world, skeptical of any existance or display of good in the world, yelling and condemning do-gooders to be hypocrites and having some hidden agenda, he himself doing nothing for the needy and helpless. the dreamer sits on his bum, too overcome with indolence to work, yet eager to rise and take arms, protesting against deforestations, killing of creatures, insects and worms.

Okay, that's all.

No comments: