Monday, May 29, 2006

Runway Cycling

Anybody went for the National Runway Cycling at Paya Lebar Air Base yesterday morning? Well, I did. In fact, I was already there since Friday setting up stuff. The amount of work involved was - forgive my limited vocabulary - ridiculous. I kept cursing the SAF for having such a stupid annual event. 4 hours of runway cycling when East Coast Park is open 24 hours. Who on earth would want to cycle on a stupid runway?! 6,000+ people, apparently.

The preparation was a sweaty and banglah-like affair, with us manually pushing plastic water barriades(the type they use along the road during road works) a few hundred metres just to serve some miniscule purpose. Back breaking, I tell you. And it was damn de-moralising that after pushing over 10 barricades each, we see people from another squardon happily driving a freaking trailer that transports over 30 barricades ...

What happened on the day itself was an entirely different story. The gates were set to open at 8am, but the guys on duty at to be in position by 4 to 5am. But me, lucky ol me, was part of a select group known as "Cookies". We were to wear civillian clothes and mingle in the crowd. Ostensibly, we were supposed to keep a look out for suspicious behaviour among the participants and to remove them to the duty personnel.

Anyway, the cookies happily woke up at 630am, washed up, and made our way to the fairground. I was on blades and one other guy had a bicycle. The rest were on foot. This narrative is boring me .. so to sum it all up, the bicycle guy and me joined the runway cycling event, which involved blading/cycling along a 15km route that's mainly on the runway. It was beautiful. Haha, I didn't realise my air base was that beautiful till that day.

K, that's all. Lazy Shaun strikes again.

No comments: