Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Sleepamaniac

I've been making the most out of my days; in terms of waking hours that is. I am an expert at operating on 2 hours of night-sleep, and 1 hour naps. Not that the things I do when I'm awake are particularly productive though =)

When there are maggots in your eyes, everything you see seems to be decaying. This is a morbid version of the theory that when you're spiritually dry, you're overly critical of everything related to God, Christianity and the church. I went to Lighthouse Evangelism in Tampines last sunday, and well, I notice the same old things; pretentiousness being one of them.

This time it was the emcee, who spoke with the air of someone mightily bored with his job, complete with the throwing back of his head and a soft, lazy drawl even when he was "welcoming" newcomers to the church. Makes one want to sock him in the face. He leads prayer as if he was God's superior, and prays with his eyes wide open, arranging his notes, and once again throwing his damn head back. How did I know that? Well, I kept my eyes open as well, and glared at him. Maggots in the eyes.

The sermon, on the other hand, was good. It was about how "faith, without works, is dead." The pastor was extremely long winded, but he got his message across, and it was a good one. It was disconcerting though, going to church, and listening to a sermon through a 'live' video-cast. The reason for that was that Lighthouse has a branch in woodlands and I suppose the poor pastor speaks at a different branch each Sunday.

I don't agree with Lighthouse's policy of miracle healing either. When Jesus, or his disciples healed, it was always instantaneous. Or at least it happened within the hour. Like get up and walk, and the lame walked. Spit into the eyes, rub, open, see something, close, open, see a little clearer, close, open, close, open, there you go, perfect eyesight. Lighthouse, on the other hand, says, you pray, see a doctor, eat your meds, grab some rest, and gradually you get well. It's a miracle. To be fair of course, some of the healed had been doing everything possible in their efforts to get well but to no avail - until they got prayed for, and miraculously recovered. I'm in no place to question how God work. So, I won't.

I used to think I was pretty smart, then I entered NUS and my perceptions got rudely challenged. I used to think I make a decent boyfriend, then I started dating Sheena. Ah well, we all learn.



My favorite cousin =), and her birthday's coming.

No comments: