Friday, January 26, 2007

$80 Steak anyone?

Morton's @ the Oriental. $430 bill for a 2 person dinner. Thanks Sheena =\

I haven't written in such a long time that the words get stuck at my fingertips much like how words get stuck in my throat when I try to speak. Anyway, the food was glorious, to say the least, so I shall attempt to do it justice.

It was my first time at Morton's, and Sheena's n-th time, so I felt a little uncomfortable. At least this time I was dressed for Morton's though. The last time I went to Morton's for cocktail, I was dressed in a frumpy polo tee and jeans, looking totally out of place among the tie-wearing yuppies lounging comfortably around and slurping $10 martinis.

Anyway we started with a martini each, and picked at Morton's signature onion bread that came freshly baked and in a portion so huge it takes a tremendous amount of will power to curb your tastebuds' whining about having "just one more bite".

There was a menu presentation where a trolley was rolled over by a friendly waitress who proceeded reciting the entire menu from memory. What was disconcerting was the life lobster that she had on the trolley. When describing the lobster dish, she picked it up at the tail and proceeded to show us how they'll cut the lobster; all these while the poor fellow was struggling with his claws bound.

I settled for a medium-rare ribeye steak that must have been at least 450grams. Couldn't finish it of course, not after wolfing down a significant portion of the onion bread and Morton's salad with blue cheese dressing. Delicious. Delicious would be an understatement in describing just how fantastic the steak tasted. I know, it's just beef. But there's something about the way they prepared it - no dressing of course - that seemed to bring out the beef's natural flavor, sweetness, and juiciness. The entire mouth is filled with the sweet, sweet, out of this world beef flavor that for just a single moment makes you feel like the steak is worth every cent of the $80 you're paying for it. The first thing I noticed was that the steak was hot. Usually steaks done rare or medium rare are simply warm, probably to preserve the bloodiness. Not so for the privileged steaks at Morton's. The outside of the steak's nicely grilled, yet the inside is red, bloody and juicy. I don't know how they do it, but I'm certain I loveeeee it.

Okay, quickly on to the desert before I head to the shower. I don't really like chocolate, not to mention chocolate cake, but the molten chocolate cake at Morton's was heavenly. There was more coco flavor than sugar and when paired with ice cream ... ah .. words really fail me.

Yum. Yum. Yum. Photos coming up soon. Off to shower!

No comments: