Sunday, May 20, 2007

Word of God

Obviously this is almost hypocritical coming from me, but I sat through one of the best sermons in my life today and thought I'll pen it down before I forget. Focus on the message, not the far from perfect author, both in grammar and character -wan smile-

The word of God. Before the world was created there was the Word, and the Word was God. Ok, this is not very accurate, but the gist of it is there la huh, bear with me. Essentially, Jesus is God personified, and Jesus was the Word before he was begotten and became man for 33 short years. Only through Jesus can one know God, and thus, only through the Word can one know God. Confused? I hope not!

The speaker today spoke of how Christianity is a word-based religion. Everything is based on words. Your faith is based on words. God speaks through his word, either spiritually or through reading of the Bible(His Word). He went on to say that if a preacher comes and performs signs and wonders without speaking from God's Word, send him away and never invite him back. For God works through his Word.

Scripture time! 2 Timothy 3:16 says "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." The speaker, who, incidentally, did not go to bible college but displays a remarkable degree of biblical knowledge said, very passionately, that one does not have to go to a bible college to study God's word. Furthermore, no where in the bible was it stated that the preachers have to know more than the congregation. EVERYBODY should study God's word, and be equally grounded in it. All you need to do is to sit down with the bible and the holy spirit will guide you and bring the words to life. I know I sound like I'm repeating the same ol crap you hear every now and then, but personally I don't sit down with God's Word often, and hope to remedy that.

I love the next bible verse. Jeremiah 17:9

The heart is deceitful above all things
and desperately wicked;
Who can know it?

Man, as I always say, are essentially evil, not good. It is through civilization that we adopt the appearance of .. decency. When push comes to shove, Man will do anything it takes to get what he wants. The heart is deceitful, and desperately wicked. Only through the word of God can the heart be changed, and made pure. Psalms 19: 7

The law of the Lord(His Word) is perfect(complete),
converting the soul(the deceitful heart)

Ok. One of my many sins is sloth, and it's striking again. I shall leave you here .. anyway the rest of the sermon more or less builds on what I've just said.

I only realised this morning the poetic beauty of God's word.

The heart is deceitful above all things,
and desperately wicked.

Beautiful.

No comments: