Saturday, July 05, 2008

The Andromeda Strain

Arguably the most retarded Michael Crichton book I've read. The ending's anti-climatic, explained nothing, and leaves you hanging. I would understand if somewhere there's a web supplement to the book, or a sequel, but the book's standalone.

The story's about a virus that MIGHT be alien, or might have just been carried up to space on a satellite, mutated and brought back to earth when the satellite crashed. What's irritating is that at the end of the book, we STILL don't know. We don't even know how the damn virus kills. Michael Crichton's narrator seems to know, but in his infinite wisdom he chose not to share it with his readers. Or maybe I missed something, I don't know. Someone please read the book, then explain to me, cause I'm mightily irked. Here he talks a little about the book. I must admit the story's pretty convincing though.

Googled it immediately after finishing the book, and I found a trailer for a mini-series based on the story. Listening to the actors and the voice-over describe the damn virus is almost hilarious to someone who has just finished reading the book. I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, so just grab the book, and read it. It's an easy read at least; finishable in a day or two.

Here's the trailer to the oh-so-exciting mini-series:

No comments: