Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Which floor

I stepped into the lift at my block and held the door open while this granny shuffled slowly in carrying plastic bags of groceries.

(Speaking in mandarin) Me: Aunty, which floor are you going to?

(Replying in Teochew) Granny: What's the time now?

(Switching to Hokkien) Me: 6:50pm

Granny: Oh ok, 12th floor then.

Me: Your son lives on the 12th?

Granny: Ya, they've no time to buy groceries so I bought some for them -indicates eggs and some tins of what I think is condensed milk- If it's 7pm then I'll return home on the 5th floor to watch tv.

Me: Ah, how nice of you. Channel 8 program?

Granny: Ya, ya. Very nice.

-Lift reaches 12th level-

I was just thinking; what if that's my mum, and my wife happens to be some anal bitch who only eats organic eggs and uses only low fat milk in her coffee.

Imagine the poor granny walking at a rate no faster than 20 steps per minute going all the way to NTUC to buy groceries only to have her daughter-in-law wrinkle her nose and go "ee, not organic. wa lau, you know condensed milk how fattening not."

Never marry a fussy woman.

No comments: