Thursday, November 13, 2008

Of Trains and Reflections

I was on the way back from dinner with dad when a fat couple boarded the train I was on at outram station along the north east line. What followed next was a few minutes of me staring at the fat girl nuzzle her fat boyfriend's neck while he stared into space.

I was just wondering how a guy can be so oblivious to his girlfriend's affections and thinking about whether he craved such affections when he was courting her, or whether his girlfriend being fat had anything to do with his unresponsiveness and thinking to myself that he's fat too so what does he have to complain etc... when the train arrived at harbourfront.

Fat boy blinked a couple of times, looked around like a lost squirrel, ok, groundhog, no, boar, and went "sia lah! salah!". His loving girlfriend said "Salah?" and he responded with something like "Salah salah .. balek"

I assumed they were supposed to be on a train heading in the opposite direction but as we all know, harbourfront is at the end of the north-east line, and trains arriving at the end of the line have no where to go but back in the direction that they came from. They couldn't have thought that the train was terminating there as there were passengers merrily filing into the carriages. All they had to do was sit tight and soon they'll be happily traveling in the right direction and the girl can go back to enthusiastically rubbing her nose against her boyfriend's neck.

What they did however, was to get up, waddle as coolly as humans can possibly waddle towards the glass doors on the other platform and stand about a foot away from them, staring straight ahead. Perhaps our heroes thought the train they left was heading to Sentosa or something. I hope they like their reflections though as they were probably going to be staring at themselves for at least a good 7 minutes.


----------------
Now playing: duran duran - ordinary world
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

pint-sized said...

I always wonder the EXACT same thing when I see a fat girlfriend with her nonchalent boyfriend, regardless of whether fat or not. and I somehow am inclined to think yes, I think it's gotta do with how she's physically unappealling. and it's also gotta do with the alleged nature of men apparently being intrinsicaly incompatible with monogamy- they get sick of facing the same person easily.

however, my sister is getting married tomorrow. I dowan to start thinking cynically now. hahaha (:

pint-sized said...

*intrinsically

Shaun said...

pint-sized? haha. and congrats to your sister!