Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The President's Pleasure

I know I should be studying, but I came across this news article on the Straits Times that spoke about a youth being detained "until the President decides to release him". That sounded pretty cool; that the president has actual decision making responsibilities. And so I googled.

This was what I found on the Ministry of Home Affairs' page:

The President’s Pleasure Review Board (TPPRB)

The President's Pleasure Review Board (TPPRB) is appointed by the Minister for Home Affairs to review the cases of underaged prisoners who have been detained during the President's pleasure. The role of the Review Board is to assess the prisoners' suitability for release for recommendation to the Minister.

Ah so .. recommendation to the Minister, not the President. Seems like our esteemed President has nothing to do with the entire process.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So what is the minimum period for this indefinite period of incarceration? Young aged citizen should be given a chance to be released back into the society. As of a person I know of, he had excel in studies during his incarceration. I believe he could be a talent back into the society. However, till date, he has been incarcerated for nearly 20 years. He is the boy who was instigated by the victim's ex-husband to murder the victim.