Sunday, May 21, 2006

Had a bad steak

Went to Bark Cafe with Daryl, Serene, and Qingwei for dinner today. I usually go there only for their excellent Erdinger, but this time it was for food cause Daryl says they serve a pretty decent fare.

Flipped through the menu, and decided on Tenderloin Steak at $15 which is quite reasonable for a steak in comparison to $8.50 for a plate of hor fun. Oh, and of course, Daryl and I ordered an Erdinger Dunkel each.

Serene's pasta came first, and looked absolutely delicious. It was seafood pasta with mussels and prawns swimming in a creamy paste. Yum. My steak didn't come till she was almost done with her pasta, and when it did come, I was shocked into silence while Daryl and Qingwei started laughing.

My tenderloin was tiny. Bloody tiny even for a tenderloin. Nevermind. I closed my eyes and said grace, which is usually "thank you God for the food, please bless it as I eat it" but this time I said a lengthier one. Sigh. Anyway, I cut the steak, and found that it was pinkish. Pinkish without a trace of liquid blood. "Medium", I said aloud. I took a bite, shook my head, and announced, "No, medium-well".

I got the attention of the cute waitress who served us, and asked her if that was supposed to be medium-rare cause it looked a lot more like medium-well to me.

Cute waitress : ya medium-well, oh, oh no I thought you said medium well!
Hungry me : Huh ... so can I change it?
Cute waitress : er ...... cannot, cause you've eaten already(sic)
Hungry me : I don't eat how I know it's medium-well?!
Cute waitress : er er, I go ask the chef
Hungry me : Ok ..
Cute waitress : er, can change, but must wait very long. Can?
Hungry me : hmmm ... okay I'll wait.

-20 mins passed in which Daryl's nasi goreng came and in which he cleaned up the plate-

-steak arrives, served by another waitress-

I cut the steak, and saw .. that .. it .. was ... fucking .. brown. Not a single trace of pink. They served me a damn well-done steak. Damn bloody pissed. I cut the steak into half, and saw that the middle was medium-rare. Only a small portion, about the size of a fifty-cent coin was medium-rare. The rest was well-done. By then I was so hungry that I was close to fainting, so I just sucked it up, and finished the steak, mashed potato, and every single piece of vegetable on the plate. But I was really, really, irritated.

When I settled the bill - which, incidentally, was brought by the cute waitress - I told her that the second steak was even more over-cooked than the first, and she went, "huh! really ah!". Sigh.

-

Went to Pasir Ris Park for beer. I know that the beer there would suck. I know they will water down the beer. Long story of how we landed up there.

I know Tiger Beer doesn't taste as good as Erdinger, but served properly, it's still pretty decent. The beer tonight was horrible. It tasted like shit. And I think I know why. I think they added soda water to the beer. When I took a small sip and left the beer in my mouth without swallowing, I could feel it biting my tongue. It definately didn't taste like how Tiger Beer should taste. Tiger should sue such bars. They spoil its reputation. It makes one think, "World Acclaimed Beer" my freaking ass.

It was a bad night. And now I'm hungry. And irritated.

No comments: