Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Reflect

"The supreme vice is shallowness." I am, I know, a pretty shallow person. I can go on for ages about the importance of good looks, brains, and wealth. Goodness of character is something I never talk about. In its stead I expound on how it is useless to be of good character if you are not even attractive enough for people to bother looking at what is inside you. Beauty is only skin deep, but what do people see when they look at you? Your skin. How do people judge your character? From the beauty of your speech and actions. If you can speak, and act, like you have a good character, people will be deceived, and will be so, till it is too late.

I am, however, wrong. I play it up for the world, grinning foolishly while openly and very obviously, appreciating the beauty of passing women. But, how far can looks get you? It might land you a job, give you an edge where it comes to promotions, give you popularity, but it never gives you true friends, nor love. Of course, if you're in posession of both good looks and character, then you are in luck. But life is never fair, and that is something we have to accept.

To digress, I am having a serious problem here. My extended displays of shallowness and non-chalance seem to have affected the way I think. My thoughts vear towards the shallow and cynical when my intention is to write something encouraging and truthful. If I am not careful, this will be me, for real.

Let me put the jerk aside, for I'm not good looking enough to be labelled a "cute jerk", and ugly jerks are never tolerated. Well, look, here I go again. What I mean to say, my dear brother, is that we're born equal. You were born with the same number of skill points as me, as any other person. The only thing that difers is how God allocates them. 40 points to looks for some, 20 for others. But the person who receives 40 points for looks might receive only 5 points for kindness. In a really geeky way, I'm trying to say that there is no need to feel inferior for lacking in any particular area. I must say I pity those who were allocated low points for intelligence and insight, though. Then again, having low points in those areas might mean that they're good-looking and kind-hearted and will go through life happily.

One might not be drop-dead gorgeous, but one might be blessed with the gift of the gab; with eloquence that is handicapped only by a low skill point allocation in confidence. Confidence, however, can be acquired, as can good fashion sense. Dress well, walk with grace and dignity. Be confident in your speech(that applies to me as well), have faith in yourself, and there is nothing you can't accomplish(or at least it helps to tell yourself that).

Superficial traits aside, you have a heart of gold. A loyalty to friends unmatched by any other I know, and a nature so helpful it goes against logical comprehension. Love will find you; just, for the love of God, open the damn door when she knocks.

No comments: