Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Unions? In Singapore

Honestly, in all my ignorance, I thought the only union in Singapore was the NTUC. Then, I came across this article where several other unions were mentioned. Maybe I was wrong. But then again, the website of NTUC those unions under its umbrella, so I guess I'm right after all. Ok, I know I'm not making much sense, but it's late. Forgive me.

Anyway, the article I was reading talks about "unionists" asking for a raise in wages "in light of economic growth." I couldn't help but wonder if this is all part of the plan to program the minds of Singaporeans to think that our economy is doing well, everybody is getting rich, so a raise in GST wouldn't matter. And, being the nice people they are, our government will lessen the pain by raising it to 6% first, and giving out cash packages to "cushion" the impact of the raise.

This is the link for the GST increase article.

"In Parliament yesterday, MP for Aljunied GRC Cynthia Phua questioned the timing of the GST hike, citing the plight of many workers earning $1,500 or less who are still struggling to make ends meet."

I wonder if this is an attempt to show the voters in Aljunied GRC(which extends to even Hougang) that their PAP MP is doing her job, and that there is no need to vote for opposition candidates. Of course, one must consider that when it comes to the actual voting in parliament, PAP MPs have to vote in line with the party's wishes. Party Whip.

I need to mug....


Someone(not me, i just took the photo) in Borders has a warped sense of humor. Our deeply respected MM Lee looks like a nice old man on the covers. Don't shoot me, I think he's brilliant! Really!

No comments: