Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Rebuttal of sorts

Apparently, Jeryd had a little friendly gender-related debate with a female friend of his. Yes, I know, I was surprised Jeryd still talks to female friends too :D:D okay, kidding bro.

I was never a fan of such debates. It's crazy to stereotype an entire gender. You can say all smurfs are blue, but you can't say all girls take an hour to bathe, or that all guys love soccer, right? I'll do it for him anyway though ..

Here are the points i'm supposed to respond to (starts from 2, so I assume he handled point1):

2) Why is it that you never carry bags... then when you meet us, you ask whether you can put your stuff in our bags??

I've to compliment this girl on being, I assume, a girl who carries her own bags. Few things in this world are sillier than a girl spending $600ish on a tiny LV or Coach bag only to have it dangle off the shoulder of her muscular boyfriend. For the love of God, you buy the bag because it looks pretty ON you and not your boyfriend.

Guys will usually cheerfully help you out with a couple of heavy textbooks, or a notebook computer, but getting him to carry a ladies bag is just wrong. Of course, being loving and all, we wouldn't want our girlfriend to suffer, so guys, bring a relatively empty bag, and dump her stuff in it. You don't look like a sissy, she doesn't look like she's emasculating her boyfriend, she's freed of her load, and you pull chivary off without looking like a pussy. Everybody wins.

Back to the question though. Do you girls know how difficult it is for guys to get a bag that doesn't make him look like a school kid nor a gay? I know some guys dig the whole metrosexual look and will gladly carry bags that look suspiciously effeminate, but personally, it turns my stomach. I've been guilty of going out clutching a book in hand, and depositing it in a lady friend's handbag. Shrug, I'm sorry I guess. I can afford neither a car, nor a nice unschoolboyungay looking bag.

3) Why must you insist on checking out other girls in front of us, then deny it and insist you were only staring at her because she looks like your friend?

I seem to remember the excuse being circulated many years ago but didn't know it was still in use. Haha, quite a good one eh? A muttered "I think I know that girl from somewhere..." should be pretty safe :D

When I'm out with a girlfriend or someone I'm really interested in though, my field of vision extends from somewhere beyond her left ear to somewhere beyond her right ear. In other words, I don't oogle at girls when I'm out on a date. At least, not consciously :)

An alternative would be to point out both hot guys and hot girls. Maybe that would work.

4) Why is it that you can wake up in the wee hours of the morning to watch soccer but can't wake up early to go for breakfast with us?

I don't wake up in the wee hours of the morning to watch soccer but guys can't rotate the earth; it's not our fault the matches are played in the middle of the night. It's passion, you know. And it's a live telecast, so unlike your sappy korean/taiwanese/japanese dramas, catching it on youtube at our leisure doesn't really work.

Breakfast, eh? How bout you spend the night at your boyfriend's place, then wake him up in the morning? He sleeps like a log you say? Get creative, use incentives. Positive incentives, k.

5) Why do you always want to appear so macho, but then groan when we ask you to help carry our shopping bags?

I was told that a major perk of shopping is to actually CARRY the brand-labeled bags so the world knows where you've been shopping and how lucky you are to be able to shop as much as you did. Or maybe having a pack mule carry your shopping is kinda empowering in a way.

That being said, I don't think any of my friends have a problem carrying their girlfriend's shopping. And none of us make too much of an effort to appear macho. Jeryd, maybe your friend needs to fine tune her boyfriend selection criteria :D

Here's a suggestion though. Shop more at places like la senza, and your boyfriend might gleefully carry your shopping for you - perhaps even with a blissful smile on his face.

(where's 6!)

7) Why is it that you spend so much on electronic equipment, but make so much noise when we buy clothes, shoes and bags?

Spend on whatever you want, just don't whine about being poor after that. Unless you're spending the boyfriend's money .. then that's something else altogether. Haha.

Okay, done :D

I should be studying, man.

----------------
Now playing: The Doors - Love street
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Jess Joseph said...

I find some girls can be too demanding. They get angry when they're boyfriend doesn't carry their shopping? It's not an obligation, although it would be a nice gesture. It never works when you demand something.

And personally, I never ask my boyfriend to carry my handbag. It looks gay & makes him appear less masculine & under the thumb.

Shaun said...

And we finally agree :D